- 350g/12oz Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Egg
- 85g/3oz unsalted butter
- 300ml/½pt Buttermilk
- 300ml/ ½ pt Semi-Skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter for frying
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl or jug, mix together the buttermilk, milk, eggs and butter. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir to combine. Do not overbeat – stir just to combine.
- Melt a small knob of butter in a large frying pan. Using a ladle, pour some batter into the pan to make a pancake. With Buttermilk Panckes I always pour a thicker pancake compared to the traditional ones. Depending on the size of your pan, you may be able to make more than one pancake at a time, or if you are confident you can use two pans at the same time.
- Cook the pancakes for about a minute, or until the underside is golden-brown and the top is bubbling. Then turn them over using a palette knife or fish slice and cook for another minute. Keep the pancakes warm in a very low oven while you cook the remaining batter.
- Drizzle with Honey or Maple Syrup
- Fresh fruit